Running Introduction

On April 16, 2012, I will be running the Boston Marathon on behalf of Massachusetts General Hospital. I am an avid runner and it has always been my dream to run Boston. However, as I think of the reasons why I am running this particular race, another story comes to mind. For 26.2 miles I will run for an organization who has saved the person that I love most in the world, my mother. Jan Mertz is my role model and best friend, and on April 16th, she will be my inspiration (follow the SPONSOR ME link to read the full story). My fund raising goal of $5,000.00 is not nearly enough to thank such an amazing hospital, but it is a start. Thank you in advance for your support and for reading my blog!!

Follow my blog for updates on my training schedule, energy-rich snacks and meals, but most of all, how to prepare mentally and physically for 26.2 miles!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Race Pace: How to get faster for Marathon Monday


Today let's chat about our running pace. Sure, it's fun going for a leisurely jog, but it is also really fun to run fast, especially if it allows you to PR on race day! So the question is, what strategies should you use to increase your race pace?

Please find 3 running tactics below. In addition, what I personally LOVE to do (and use quite frequently) is assign different tempo music for the different stages of my run. For example, I tend to start my runs slow with Adele and then gradually increase the tempo, moving from Katy Perry to Rhianna, Niki Minaj and the Black Eyed Peas. Kap Slap is also AWESOME for fast-pace running mash-ups (http://kapslap.com/).

3 Running Tactics....

1) Negative or even splits

This means you’re running the same pace (even splits) or finishing faster (negative split) than how you started. Generally this approach is best for longer races like the marathon, where you don’t want to go out too fast and get yourself into trouble with mannnyyyyyy miles to go. The key is to consistently keep or pick up your pace throughout the race. You don’t want to leave too much in the tank, but it can help you finish strong while everyone else is fading.

2) Starting fast and holding on

Obviously, this is the opposite to whats above (and my personal favorite!). This tactic is best for shorter races like a 5K. But please be careful... although you can get a great runner's high from this type of run (woo hoo endorphins!), it can also be a disaster if you start too fast, get in over your head and crash and burn. So make sure to do LOTS of training runs before applying this tool to race day.

3) Surges

A surge is where you pick up your pace for 100-400 meters or so. It’s usually done if you’re trying to drop a competitor, but if can also be done by yourself if you're trying to finish a hill or are at the end of your race. The key is you again don’t want to go too fast, because at about 75-80% of your max heart rate — your anaerobic threshold — your body starts pumping out lactic acid to slow you down, and you’ll hit a wall. But if you stay below that zone, it can actually help you because you’re switching up using fast twitch (speed) muscles, which will keep your slow twitch (endurance) muscles fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment