Running Introduction

On April 16, 2012, I will be running the Boston Marathon on behalf of Massachusetts General Hospital. I am an avid runner and it has always been my dream to run Boston. However, as I think of the reasons why I am running this particular race, another story comes to mind. For 26.2 miles I will run for an organization who has saved the person that I love most in the world, my mother. Jan Mertz is my role model and best friend, and on April 16th, she will be my inspiration (follow the SPONSOR ME link to read the full story). My fund raising goal of $5,000.00 is not nearly enough to thank such an amazing hospital, but it is a start. Thank you in advance for your support and for reading my blog!!

Follow my blog for updates on my training schedule, energy-rich snacks and meals, but most of all, how to prepare mentally and physically for 26.2 miles!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

The cons of marathon running: CAVITIES


Cavities and marathon running? Yes, you read this correctly. This morning, during a lovely 8am trip to the dentist, I was informed that I have not one, but two cavities. One was filled this morning and the other will be filled at a later appointment. However, aside from informing you all about my dental hygiene, I wanted to share WHY, after 24 years of almost no cavities, I now have two new surprises in my mouth. The answer…

RUNNING FUEL SNACKS: Bars, Blok Shots, Gel, Gummy Chomps and Goos

These delicious, sugary, energy rich snacks have been allowing me to power through my long Saturday runs while also attacking my pearly whites. As you can probably tell by the sarcastic tone in this post, I am not a happy camper (or in this case, a happy runner). I mean come on, I am running MARATHONS and as a result I have cavities? You really can’t win : )

Clearly I’m annoyed, but I also find it kind of funny. So the real question of this post, what is the solution? After chatting with my dentist, there are three things you can do to protect your teeth while fueling your body:

1) Stay away from the Gummies! Try to eat the goo or gels since they wont stick to your teeth as much. This is particularly upsetting to me since the Cliff Bar Shot Blok gummies are my personal favorite.

2) EAT WITH WATER! Swish water around after you eat your goos to try and get most of the sugar off of your teeth

3) Brush ASAP! After catching your breath and stretching for a bit, throw some toothpaste on your toothbrush and go to town!

At the end of the day, it’s a tough balance, but hopefully I have provided some good insight into keeping both your body and mouth healthy and prepared for race day!

Peace, Love and RUNNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment