Running Introduction

On April 16, 2012, I will be running the Boston Marathon on behalf of Massachusetts General Hospital. I am an avid runner and it has always been my dream to run Boston. However, as I think of the reasons why I am running this particular race, another story comes to mind. For 26.2 miles I will run for an organization who has saved the person that I love most in the world, my mother. Jan Mertz is my role model and best friend, and on April 16th, she will be my inspiration (follow the SPONSOR ME link to read the full story). My fund raising goal of $5,000.00 is not nearly enough to thank such an amazing hospital, but it is a start. Thank you in advance for your support and for reading my blog!!

Follow my blog for updates on my training schedule, energy-rich snacks and meals, but most of all, how to prepare mentally and physically for 26.2 miles!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

YOU GO GIRL!


Hello Friends!

With only 12 days until the 116th Boston Marathon (AH!) I want to blog quickly on what has been motivating me recently. As a "seasoned" marathon runner (this is my 2nd) I can tell you that it is about this time that running gets tedious and often feels like a chore. Imagine you finish a busy day at work (even got out a little late), you didn't get your full 8 hours of sleep, and you need to grocery shop, make dinner and pay bills all before you go to bed. The last thing you want to do is run, right? That's the same way I feel, except, I HAVE to run. The most important part of marathon training is consistency, which means I have to get on my sneakers, stop complaining and run.

Yesterday was particularly bad. I left work at 6:30p and was super grouchy that I had stayed so late, tired from looking at the computer all day, and mad that the sun was going to set in an hour. I got home and had a letter waiting for me from the parents of my childhood friend. Inside was a donation towards my race and a note that had one sentence: You go girl!

I looked in the mirror and smiled. Why was I so grouchy? It was a beautiful day, I was going to run on the Charles River and I have more support and love than I know what to do with! I then went for an AMAZING 7 mile run to Harvard and back, which I ran at a comfortable 8:10 min/mile pace!

I don't know what motivates you to run, but for me, it is knowing that I am running to train for the Boston Marathon, running to honor my mom, and running to better myself! I saw this NPR article last night and wanted to pass it along to my readers. It is about Katherine Switzer, the first woman to complete the Boston Marathon in 1967 (unofficially). She started a revolution for women runners and helped campaign to include the women's marathon in the Olympic games. YOU GO GIRL!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/04/02/149876890/photo-the-first-woman-to-enter-the-boston-marathon?sc=fb&cc=fp

Peace, Love and RUNNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment