Running Introduction

On April 16, 2012, I will be running the Boston Marathon on behalf of Massachusetts General Hospital. I am an avid runner and it has always been my dream to run Boston. However, as I think of the reasons why I am running this particular race, another story comes to mind. For 26.2 miles I will run for an organization who has saved the person that I love most in the world, my mother. Jan Mertz is my role model and best friend, and on April 16th, she will be my inspiration (follow the SPONSOR ME link to read the full story). My fund raising goal of $5,000.00 is not nearly enough to thank such an amazing hospital, but it is a start. Thank you in advance for your support and for reading my blog!!

Follow my blog for updates on my training schedule, energy-rich snacks and meals, but most of all, how to prepare mentally and physically for 26.2 miles!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I LOVE TAPERING


A few of you have asked what my "training" regiment is for my week leading up to race day, well let me tell you, it is WONDERFUL. I think I may run marathons for the taper week. Not to brag, but I can run 2 or 3 miles in my sleep, so the fact that these are my "training" runs is heavenly. Below is my training schedule

Monday - 3 miles
Tuesday - 5 miles
Wednesday - 2 miles (WALK)
Thursday - 3 miles
Friday - 3 miles
Saturday - REST (1-2 mile walk)
Sunday - 2 miles (EASY), stretch, rest
Monday - RACE DAY: 26.2 from Hopkinton to Boston!

The point of the taper week is to keep your body loose while cutting back on distance and intensity. All of my runs will be at an 8:20 min/mile pace or LESS and will be accompanied by a lot of stretching. I am also hydrating like a camel - water and mango ZICO coconut water are my new best friends! For food, I am keeping pretty normal to my regular diet (nutritious and healthy), and staying clear of fatty foods. Starting on Friday I will begin the infamous carbo load (another reason why I love marathon running!) of pasta, potatoes and rice! I will add in veggies and protein, but will make carbs be my priority for lunch and dinner.

Keep up with me this week as I blog about my: MGH Marathon Team Jersey, Pre-Race jitters, Pre-Race Pasta Dinner and of course, one last final blog about RACE DAY!

Peace, Love and RUNNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment