Running Introduction

On April 16, 2012, I will be running the Boston Marathon on behalf of Massachusetts General Hospital. I am an avid runner and it has always been my dream to run Boston. However, as I think of the reasons why I am running this particular race, another story comes to mind. For 26.2 miles I will run for an organization who has saved the person that I love most in the world, my mother. Jan Mertz is my role model and best friend, and on April 16th, she will be my inspiration (follow the SPONSOR ME link to read the full story). My fund raising goal of $5,000.00 is not nearly enough to thank such an amazing hospital, but it is a start. Thank you in advance for your support and for reading my blog!!

Follow my blog for updates on my training schedule, energy-rich snacks and meals, but most of all, how to prepare mentally and physically for 26.2 miles!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Green Smoothies are AWESOME!


Hello again!

So I know I was not going to post again until Sunday, but I just could not resist writing a short blog about this DELICIOUS green smoothie I am currently drinking! I'll be honest, I initially wanted to start drinking "green" drinks because they look cool and make you "feel" healthy. But I will tell you, this morning I went for a FRIGID 3 mile run outside and drank 20 oz of the below green drink and I feel awesome! What a lovely way to start a Thursday!

Below is the recipe for my new favorite green smoothie! I added everything, even the bee pollen, and I can 100% tell you that it is delicious....even my roommate Tom likes it! I would also recommend making double the batch and doing it the night before. Give it a quick blend in the morning and you can head on out to change the world! I am hoping to drink 2, or maybe 4 a week (?) and will drink one for breakfast with a snack around 10am ish. Enjoy!!


1 cup water
1/4 inch of fresh ginger root (peeled and chopped)
1/2 banana
4 leaves of kale (cut the stems off)
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 bag of frozen mango
1/2 tsp bee pollen
1 teaspoon spirulina
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup of OJ




Peace, love and RUNNING!

1 comment:

  1. Val- I LOVE your blog! You totally kick ass : ) - Anne

    ReplyDelete