Running Introduction

On April 16, 2012, I will be running the Boston Marathon on behalf of Massachusetts General Hospital. I am an avid runner and it has always been my dream to run Boston. However, as I think of the reasons why I am running this particular race, another story comes to mind. For 26.2 miles I will run for an organization who has saved the person that I love most in the world, my mother. Jan Mertz is my role model and best friend, and on April 16th, she will be my inspiration (follow the SPONSOR ME link to read the full story). My fund raising goal of $5,000.00 is not nearly enough to thank such an amazing hospital, but it is a start. Thank you in advance for your support and for reading my blog!!

Follow my blog for updates on my training schedule, energy-rich snacks and meals, but most of all, how to prepare mentally and physically for 26.2 miles!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

New Breakfast Smoothie recipe!

So, by now you may have been getting bored of those green smoothies. I already had two this week, and although I LOVE them and think they are DELICIOUS, I find that I am still hungry in the morning. So today, I did some smoothie searching, and found this yummy breakfast smoothie (recipe below):

½ cup yogurt, plain or vanilla
1 cup fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries, and mango oh my!)
½ banana
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp psyllium husks (FOR DIGESTION)
1 tbsp spirulina (FOR VITAMINS/ANTIOXIDANTS/IMMUNE BOOST)
1 tbsp bee pollen (FOR ENERGY)
1 cup ice (or use frozen fruit and skip the ice)

Yield: 2½ cups; Calories: 435; Total fat: 4.5 g; Fiber: 11.8 g; Protein: 8.8 g


I will be making this smoothie tomorrow morning (and will be sure to comment on the taste) but what I think will be SO great about this drink is the addition of the "psyllium husks." Apparently, they are very good at absorbing water (to make you feel fuller longer) in addition to doing great things for your bowel regulation....yum!

I am off to run a nice and easy 5 miles and I can't wait to update you on my smoothie adventures tomorrow!

Peace, Love and RUNNING!

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning! So the smoothie was a success! I changed it slightly by doubling the recipe, adding 1/2 cup OJ and doing 1/2 of the spirulina, bee pollen and psylium husks. I dare say that I like my green smoothies better (what!?) But I think this one will be good to throw in the mix every few days.

    Peace, Love and RUNNING!

    ReplyDelete